1.19.2012

New Year's Resolutions



Wayell, it's been over since months since my last confession.  ;)  One of my resolutions for this year is to get better at blogging, so here we go.

This is going to be a milestone year for me - I'm going one year without any refined or processed sweeteners.  Basically, I can only have honey and maple syrup.  No store bought goodies, no high fructose corn syrup, nada.  And I'm on day 19.

To prepare myself, I started a few months before the year ended and assigned myself "no sugar" days that increased in frequency from once every five days up to every other day, and then cold turkey once the new year  began.  And  you know what?  It's easier than I imagined.  There are rough moments (like when you go to baby showers and there are BEAUTIFUL strawberry cupcakes, or someone leaves a pile of Reese's around), and luckily Trevor is good enough to help out and eat them quickly and remove the temptation.  Letting others know that I'm going without sugar is a big help, too.  People have been really supportive.  I get encouragement, recipe ideas, and fewer temptations around them.  Thank heaven for good buddies.

It's really awesome going on this diet - I can't believe I didn't do it before!  I feel so in control of myself, and I'm getting way more creative with my desserts.  My teeth are getting less sensitive as well, and I'm slowly losing a little weight.  PLUS - I have a ton more energy!  I am appreciating my opportunities to spend time with my girls and do things with them so much more.  For instance, this video I did with the girls:

 The Three Little Pigs

I love my family so, so much.

On top of staying off sugar and getting better at blogging, here are the rest of the resolutions I have for this year:

Take the GRE
Finish writing a children's book about my great grandma Brighton
Get better at temple attendance
Make $20 from selling things I have made
Be a better me - (wife, mother, self, daughter, friend, cousin, etc. as well as chef, artist, housekeeper, historian, etc.)
Nourish my family relationships
Participate in an athletic event

So there we go.  I've got my goals, and I am determined to do them.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Amy said...

That picture at the top looks kind of familiar!??!!? :) Too bad we didn't get video of The Sound of Music re-creation!

Way to go on all of your resolutions. You totally inspire me, and this post helped to brighten my day, as it's been a rough day. I'm excited to see what else you post about soon! I hope that Trevor is racking up his vacation days so you can take a trip down here to The South (probably preferably in July or August, as if you want to experience The South, you should come when it's at its HOTTEST!!) :)

Grady said...

Haha! I'm glad! We're starting our saving up, so hopefully it can work out!